Blog List

• Avoid Probate with a Transfer on Death Agreement for your U.S. Brokerage Accounts
• RMD Rules for Inherited IRAs Delayed…Again
• Moving to Canada With a Health Savings Account (HSA) - What You Need To Know
• Qualifying for Both Social Security and CPP - What You Need to Know
• What happens to an RRSP when a client relocates to the U.S.?
• Choosing A U.S. Resident as Your Executor Requires Caution
• A Guide to Rolling Your 403b into an IRA
• Discounted Bonds vs. GICs: Maximizing After-Tax Returns
• Reasons to Consider transferring your 401k to a Rollover IRA
• Social Security, CPP and OAS: What Happens When You Have Worked on Both Sides of the Border
• Cross-Border Wealth Management: Five Things To Know Before Moving From Canada to the U.S.
• Moving from Canada to the United States with Canadian Investment Accounts
• Comprehensive Reporting and Investment Expertise for Americans in Canada
• The Raymond James Advantage – Comprehensive Tax Reporting for U.S. Persons Residing in Canada
• Understanding Gift Tax: Your Obligations and When it Applies
• Consolidating Your TIAA Account
• Inheriting a Roth IRA: What You Need to Know
• The Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)
• The Top 5 Reasons to Keep Your IRA Instead of Transferring to an RRSP
• 60(j) Transfer: Should You Transfer Your U.S. Qualified Plan to an RRSP?
What to Do as a U.S. Individual Inheriting Canadian Dollars
The Implications of Using a U.S. Address on Investment Accounts When Moving Abroad
Are you considered a Covered or Uncovered Expatriate?
Required Minimum Distributions: FAQ
Crossing Borders and Maximizing Investments: Navigating Your Finances
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP): What you need to Know
Restricted Stock Units (RSUs): A Comprehensive Guide
FBAR (Foreign Bank Account Report): Top things to know about FBAR
Why incorporated Business Owners should consider an Individual Pension Plan (IPP)
BACKDOOR ROTH IRA – What Is It & When Does It Make Sense
California Residents: Your Canadian retirement savings accounts DO NOT Grow Tax Free
Understanding Inherited IRAs
What To Do With Your U.S. Taxable Investment Accounts When You Become A Canadian Resident
Why You Should Work with A Cross Border Financial Adviser
Roth IRA: Moving To Canada with your Roth IRA
Mistakes to Avoid When Moving to Canada
U.S. Person Buying a Home in Canada
Passive Foreign Investment Company (PFIC) and Why You Should Avoid Them
401(k) to IRA Rollover

Written by Carson Hamill CIM®, CRPC®, Associate Financial Advisor & Assistant Branch Manager & Dean Moro BComm, CIM®, Associate Portfolio Manager

A common question we get asked is what happens to a Health Savings Account (HSA) when a person moves to Canada from the United States. In this blog, we’ll discuss the implications of moving to Canada with an HSA and strategies to minimize the tax burden of these accounts as a tax resident of Canada.

See More

Written by Carson Hamill CIM®, CRPC®, Associate Financial Advisor & Assistant Branch Manager & Dean Moro BComm, CIM®, Associate Portfolio Manager

The question often arises for Canadians who have worked in both Canada and the U.S.: What is the best approach for collecting benefits from both the CPP and Social Security? Which factors need to be considered, and is there a preferred order for claiming these benefits? What is the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) and how do I utilize both Social Security and CPP payments? This blog seeks to shed light on these queries and offer guidance.

See More